Re: "Service user account 'postgres' could not be created" -- 8.4.2-1 and Active Directory on Windows08 R2

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Service user account 'postgres' could not be created" -- 8.4.2-1 and Active Directory on Windows08 R2
Date: 2011-04-19 19:25:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On 04/19/11 11:48 AM, Greg Corradini wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm getting 'service user account 'postgres' could not be created'
> when using the postgresql-8.4.2-1 one-click installer (i also get the
> same error with a new version of postgresql 8.4.8-1)
>
> So i know in the past (version 8.3.x) there were problems with Windows
> Server 2008 R2 running Active Directory and postgresql around this
> same error. I'm running into exactly the same errors as described here:
> http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/1516.page
>
> After I get the error i cancel out of the installation, make sure
> there's no postgresql install, make sure there's no postgresql service
> running, blow away postgres user, make sure there is nothing in the
> registry and reboot.
>
> I try to reinstall again and run into the same problem.

is this server a domain controller or just a member of the domain?

if its a domain controller, you'll need to create a domain account
'postgres', configuure this with MINIMUM privileges, just 'run as
service' on the host, nothing else (these are configured in security
policies). give this account a arbitrary complex password.

then, when the postgres installer is running, if it asks you about the
account, tell it to use DOMAINNAME\postgres and that password you
assigned, and it should be happy.

if its NOT a domain controller, create a account 'postgres' via
Administration Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups ->
Users... remove the "Users' group from this account, and in Local
Security Policies (also in Computer Management), make sure the account
COMPUTERNAME\postgres is listed under 'Run as Service', then do the same
as above, only specify COMPUTERNNAME\postgres as the account.

hope this helps?