Re: PGXN Hosting

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXN Hosting
Date: 2011-05-11 20:09:47
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 22:05, David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> wrote:
> On May 11, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
>
>> I though cpan has something to track the modules built locally and
>> update them all. As probably have pgxn (if cpan has) or will have at
>> some point. Am I wrong ?
>
> Not sure what you mean by this. Daniele Varrazzo has been writing a PGXN client, though. Are you thinking of something like
>
>    pgxn update all
>
> That would install the latest version of all installed extensions?

Well, what's needed for the infrastructure is:

* A munin/nagios compatible monitor that will alert when *security or
other critical updates* are avaiable. It should *not* fire off alerts
if it's just a new feature release, we're only interested in patches.
* A "pgxn update all" command like the one you mentioned, but one that
again only deals with patches and security updates, not new versions.

We want to be able to basically automate monitoring and updating
*without* risking compatibility problems.

IIRC you can't do that with CPAN today for example, which is why
people tend to prefer to rely on the DEB packaged CPAN modules,
because then the packager takes on the responsibility to backpatch
fixes.

> As for packaging what's on PGXN, I've discussed a bit with Daniele, Magnus, and Devrim (via Twitter) the idea of having some kind of automated way for PGXN distributions to automatically be repackaged for RPM and/or .deb and/or StackBuilder distribution.

Yeah, that's definitely something that would be *very* useful.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/