Re: pgpool versus sequences

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, mangoo(at)wpkg(dot)org, scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com, t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgpool versus sequences
Date: 2011-06-01 22:25:43
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Attached is a proposed patch to close off this hole.  I found that
> somebody had already inserted code to forbid the case for foreign
> tables, so I just extended that idea a bit (by copying-and-pasting
> CheckValidResultRel).  Questions:
>
> * Does anyone want to bikeshed on the wording of the error messages?

Not particularly.

> * Does anyone want to argue for not forbidding SELECT FOR UPDATE on
>  toast tables?

Maybe. How hard would it be to fix that so it doesn't blow up? What
I don't like about the proposed solution is that it will cause very
user-visible breakage as a result of a minor release upgrade, for
anyone using pgpool, which is a lot of people; unless pgpool is
upgraded to a sufficiently new version first.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company