Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-30 08:00:46
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 03:19, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 02:00 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 19:36, Jeff Davis<pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>  wrote:
>>

>>> GitHub doesn't offer mailing lists at all. Not all projects need a
>>> mailing list, but I've found it to be helpful for the temporal project.
>>>

>> GitHub beats sourceforge on pretty much everything except for this one
>> thing, imho. But if that's considered critical enough, I agree it's
>> not a good choice.
>>

> Agreed on all that.  I think the decision tree for where to host a projects
> might look like this:
>
> -Are a critical project to the PostgreSQL infrastructure:
>  git.postgresql.org + PostgreSQL hosted mailing list
> -Don't care about mailing lists or web space:  github

Um, github gives you web space afaik? I haven't actually used it, so
perhaps it's just not good enough and that's why you didn't include
it?

> -Need a basic mailing list, but don't care about integration with the repo:
>  github + Google Groups
> -Need a mailing list with repo integration:  sourceforge
>
> To help provide a resource here, I just wrote up a little guide to
> PostgreSQL related project hosting on the wiki:
>  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Project_Hosting
>
> That includes a little blurb about the uncertainty around PgFoundry.  If
> shutdown plans proceed, that might be worth expanding on with more hosting
> details, or notes  on doing a migration.  I started to draw a little chart
> showing which features are supported on each hosting platform, but suspect
> that I could probably find such a table elsewhere given a bit more time.

Well, there is always
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities.
Which probably has a lot *more* detail than most people care about...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/