Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-30 19:38:58
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 21:19 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Agreed on all that. I think the decision tree for where to host a
> projects might look like this:
>
> -Are a critical project to the PostgreSQL infrastructure:
> git.postgresql.org + PostgreSQL hosted mailing list
> -Don't care about mailing lists or web space: github
> -Need a basic mailing list, but don't care about integration with the
> repo: github + Google Groups
> -Need a mailing list with repo integration: sourceforge

Thank you for the breakdown, it looks like option 3 is for me (at least
the "temporal" project, anyway) -- github + google groups.

I saw a somewhat strange message on google groups though:

"Zipped versions of the pages and files associated with this group will
be available for download until August 31, 2011. After this date, this
feature and the zip file downloads will be turned off permanently.
Download pages| Download Files"

Does that mean that you can't export the email out of a group? I suppose
it will be available online, and perhaps in local mailboxes, but that
seems a little strange (and slightly un-google-like, because usually
they offer you some way to export data).

Regards,
Jeff Davis