pgAdmin 1.14.0 Beta 1 feedback

From: Blake McBride <blake(at)mcbride(dot)name>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin 1.14.0 Beta 1 feedback
Date: 2011-05-16 14:16:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Greetings,

I am using the latest beta of pgAdmin. I use pgAdmin daily over the
last five years. Right now I mainly use it on a Mac. I have the
following feedback. Most of my feedback is feedback that has been
problems for a long time and hasn't been fixed in the latest beta as
follows:

1. On the Mac (and possibly other platforms), if you maximize the
window and re-size the panes, and then reduce the size of the window
again you often totally lose access to some of the panes. If you
reduce the window the panes should not reduce past a certain minimum.
This is a significant problem because sometimes you have an external
monitor connected. You maximize the pgAdmin window. You later put
your machine to sleep and then wake it without the external monitor.
You can't use pgAdmin at all until you reconnect an external monitor
and re-size the window. This can render pgAdmin totally unusable
until you have an external monitor to connect!

2. pgAdmin does not allow you to add comments on a new field. You
must first complete the add and then go back in to add the comment.
This is a nightmare. If you have a large database with a lot of
maintenance, you want to add columns and move on. The way pgAdmin
requires two steps to add comments you have to make two passes over
all of your new columns. This is a huge waste of time. Yea, I know
you probably can't add a comment before a column is totally there but
that's your problem. pgAdmin should do the two steps.

3. Another screen size issue on the Mac (might also exist on other
platforms too) - when dialogs come up, if you move it to a second,
larger monitor and accept the dialog, the window manager remembers
which screen you had the dialog on. Okay, fine. The problem is the
next day you start your machine up without the external monitor. When
you attempt the same dialogs they appear on your single monitor but
they are positioned and sized for the external monitor. Often you
can't use or reposition the screen at all until you reconnect the
external monitor. This also renders pgAdmin totally nonfunctional
until you can re-connect the external monitor and re-size and
re-position the dialog to a functional location on the single monitor.

4. This is related to the new version. I don't know who created the
"New Column" dialog but it is a real pain for people who use it daily.
First of all, the default pane has the Comment field which isn't even
usable (as described above). Second you force the use of a second
pane in order to add the column. This is unnecessarily cumbersome.
It would be significantly better to have all the required fields on
the default pane thus minimizing the need for additional panes.

Being a programmer for the last 30+ years I understand the "well just
do xyz, or just don't do def" attitude, but as a significant USER of
pgAdmin these small changes can make a huge difference in the
usability of the application.

Thanks for a largely great app!

Blake McBride