Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

From: Jonathan Katz <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date: 2016-03-22 14:30:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 10:07 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I've been ranting about this on Twitter for a while, and now blogged about it:
>
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/devrim/index.php?/archives/89-9.6,-or-10.0.html
>
> There are major changes in 9.6 (some of them are listed in the blog post), and
> I think they are good enough to call this 10.0.
>
> A counter argument might be waiting for pglogical for inclusion, but I think
> the current changes are enough to warrant a .0 release.
>
> What do you think?

Perhaps we can use the “survey” feature on .org to get some quantitative feedback and see what the temperature is of the overall community for the upgrade. I would be happy to put it together and help promote it.

Ultimately I think everyone is going to have their own opinion about what constitutes us to switch to the 10.x series. It may be best to leave it up to -core to decide if we should roll over the first number. This is not to squelch any discussion, rather it’s to keep some perspective on the outcome :-)

Thanks!

Jonathan