Re: Small GIN optimizations (after 9.4)

From: PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small GIN optimizations (after 9.4)
Date: 2014-02-06 16:31:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

i think there is one more thing which would be really good in GIN and which would solve a ton of issues.
atm GIN entries are sorted by item pointer.
if we could sort them by a "column" it would fix a couple of real work issues such as ...

SELECT ... FROM foo WHERE "tsearch_query" ORDER BY price DESC LIMIT 10

... or so.
it many cases you want to search for a, say, product and find the cheapest / most expensive one.
if the tsearch_query yields a high number of rows (which it often does) the subsequent sort will kill you.

many thanks,

hans