Re: Beta2 - A Late Announcement

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beta2 - A Late Announcement
Date: 2002-09-30 14:41:09
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

On 30/9/02 3:35 pm, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
>> Just downloaded 7.3b2 and it all compiled and installed ok on my MacOSX
>> 10.2.1 machine.
>
>> However, when I try and upload a dump file from my 7.2.2 server I get the
>> following problem:
>
>> dyld: /usr/local/pgsql7.3/bin/postmaster Undefined symbols:
>> _get_temp_rel_by_physicalname
>> _xlateSqlType
>
> Got any PL-language functions in that dump? How about user-defined C
> functions? What this looks like is trying to load a shared library
> that is out of date (ie, for some release prior to 7.3). I'm thinking
> you have an absolute path in some CREATE FUNCTION command that is
> pointing to an older release.

Ahh yes, it is failing just as it is trying to create the
plpgsql_call_handler ready for adding the PL/pgSQL language, which includes
a hard coded path to plpgsql.so

If I manually changed the path to the newly complied plpgsql.so would that
be ok?

>> server closed the connection unexpectedly
>
> That's annoying; it looks like the Darwin dynamic loader is aborting
> the process instead of returning a failure code. I wonder whether
> we can get it to behave more sanely?

Ugh... Out of my depth! :-)

I will try the above and let you know.

adam