Re: Beta2 - A Late Announcement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beta2 - A Late Announcement
Date: 2002-09-30 14:35:29
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
> Just downloaded 7.3b2 and it all compiled and installed ok on my MacOSX
> 10.2.1 machine.

> However, when I try and upload a dump file from my 7.2.2 server I get the
> following problem:

> dyld: /usr/local/pgsql7.3/bin/postmaster Undefined symbols:
> _get_temp_rel_by_physicalname
> _xlateSqlType

Got any PL-language functions in that dump? How about user-defined C
functions? What this looks like is trying to load a shared library
that is out of date (ie, for some release prior to 7.3). I'm thinking
you have an absolute path in some CREATE FUNCTION command that is
pointing to an older release.

That's annoying; it looks like the Darwin dynamic loader is aborting
the process instead of returning a failure code. I wonder whether
we can get it to behave more sanely?