Connecting R to PostgreSQL

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Connecting R to PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-09-14 14:29:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

I am not sure if the problem here relates to PostgreSQL or elsewhere, but I
am trying to connect the R statistical package to my PostgreSQL database
using the Rdbi.PgSQL driver.

The driver installs ok, however when I try to load it in R I get the
following error

> library(Rdbi.PgSQL)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
unable to load shared library "/Users/adam/Projects/R
stuff/rlibs/Rdbi.PgSQL/libs/Rdbi.PgSQL.so":
dlcompat: dyld: /sw/lib/R/bin/R.bin Undefined symbols:
_ERR_get_error
_ERR_reason_error_string
_SSL_CTX_new
_SSL_connect
_SSL_free
_SSL_library_init
_SSL_load_error_strings
_SSL_new
_SSL_read
_SSL_set_fd
_SSL_write
_SSLv23_method
Error in library(Rdbi.PgSQL) : .First.lib failed

Looking through the source code the driver includes <libpq-fe.h> which
subsequently includes openssl/ssl.h

I don't know if this is where the problem lies?

My system is Mac OSX 10.2

Any ideas or pointers to further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

believed to be clean.