Re: Connecting R to PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connecting R to PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-09-14 18:30:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
> The driver installs ok, however when I try to load it in R I get the
> following error

>> library(Rdbi.PgSQL)
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
> unable to load shared library "/Users/adam/Projects/R
> stuff/rlibs/Rdbi.PgSQL/libs/Rdbi.PgSQL.so":
> dlcompat: dyld: /sw/lib/R/bin/R.bin Undefined symbols:
> _ERR_get_error
> _ERR_reason_error_string
> _SSL_CTX_new
> _SSL_connect
> _SSL_free
> _SSL_library_init

It looks like the dynamic loader is failing to find the SSL library
(libssl.so), which is required by your PG client library. I don't know
enough about OSX to know how library searching is handled, but on other
Unixen you'd need to mess with ldconfig or LD_LIBRARY_PATH ... or
perhaps easier, put libssl.so into a more standard location than
wherever it is now.

Alternatively, you could rebuild PG omitting SSL support.