Slow ADO connection on unbound form

From: Randall Perry <rgp(at)systame(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Slow ADO connection on unbound form
Date: 2001-11-26 15:04:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I've got an Access XP cient app that connects to a PostgreSQL backend. I'm
learning how to do unbound forms (mainly because of problems with bound form
problems -- namely inability to edit or save records, even though it worked
previously).

So, using code I found in Access 2k Programming: Weekend Crash Course, I set
one of my forms up as unbound. It works ok, but it's at least 10 times
slower moving from record to record. The code has navigation buttons that
cycle through a retrieved recordset. The connection to the backend is a 56k
modem. The bound form moves between records at 1/4 sec each. The unbound
takes at least 5 seconds.

It's possible it's not great code (though it looked good to me). Can VBA
slowness be causing this? (running a Dell with intel P-6 731mhz). I tried
setting recordset CursorLocation to adUseClient -- made no difference.

Any other ideas?

--
Randy Perry
sysTame