Re: AXLE Plans for 9.5 and 9.6

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AXLE Plans for 9.5 and 9.6
Date: 2014-04-22 12:15:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
> Some of areas of R&D are definitely on the roadmap, others are more
> flexible. Some of this is in progress, other stuff is not even at the
> design stage - yet, just a few paragraphs along the lines of "we will
> look at these topics". If we have room, its possible we may
> accommodate other topics; this is not carte blanche, but the reason
> for posting here is so people know we will take input, following the
> normal community process. Detailed in-person discussions at PGCon are
> expected and the Wiki pages will be updated for each aspect.
>
> BI-related Indexing
> * MinMax indexes
> * Bitmap indexes
>
> Large Systems
> * Freeze avoidance
> * Storage management issues for very large systems
>
> Storage Efficiency
> * Compression
> * Column Orientation
>
> Optimisation
> * Bulk loading speed improvements
> * Bulk FK evaluation
> * Executor tuning for very large queries
>
> Query tuning
> * Approximate queries, sampling
> * Materialized Views

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing PostgreSQL evolve as an analytics
database for data warehousing. Is there any reason why in-memory database
and MPP is not included?

Are you planning to include the above features in 9.5 and 9.6? Are you
recommending other developers not implement these features to avoid
duplication of work with AXLE?

Regards
MauMau