Re: what Linux to run

From: Brent Wood <Brent(dot)Wood(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "david_list(at)boreham(dot)org" <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what Linux to run
Date: 2012-03-04 02:49:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hmm...

I tend to _mostly_ run workstations rather than servers, & pick my distro to suit my application needs.

My workplace is a SLES site, & I use Open Suse. Given most of my Postgres databases are in fact PostGIS databases, and need to work with a variety of other spatial data & GIS related apps, then I have a set of dependencies to work with for every install. Postgres, Postgis, GEOS, Proj, GDAL, mapserver, Java, python. QGIS, GMT, etc.

I have liased with the package maintainers who look after the Suse GEO repository, and they are generally able to build any required package, for both server * workstation distros (SLED, SLES, OpenSuse).

Having robust packages built by people who know more than I do about this area is core to my selection of distro. While I'm aware that Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora also have GIS related repositories, the OPenSuse ones have, for me at least, the best mix of currency & stability, & fantastic support.

If your goal is to run a robust Postgres server, find the mainstream distro which provides what you want out of the box, so you can run the database, not wrestle with compiling it every time something changes. Only consider compiling your own applications if there is no such distro, or you really want to have that level of control & ownership of the system.

Also, if you are running a VM as your server, then under Xen commercial tools, for example, SLES is fully supported by the hypervisor. Ubuntu isn't. Makes choosing easy...

YMMV :-)

Brent Wood

GIS/DBA consultant
NIWA