Re: Volunteer to build a configuration tool

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Volunteer to build a configuration tool
Date: 2007-06-18 23:35:11
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-performance

On Jun 18, 2007, at 4:09 PM, david(at)lang(dot)hm wrote:

> one thing to point out to people about this idea is that nothing
> says that this page needs to be served via a webserver. If all the
> calculations are done in javascript this could be a local file that
> you open with a browser.
>
> do any of the text-mode browsers implement javascript? if so then
> you have an answer even for the deeply buried isolated headless
> servers.

It doesn't really matter.

The implementation is likely to be trivial, and could be independently
knocked out by anyone in their favorite language in a few hours.

The tricky bits are going to be defining the problem and creating the
alogrithm to do the maths from input to output.

If that's so, the language or platform the proof-of-concept code is
written for isn't that important, as it's likely to be portable to
anything
else without too much effort.

But the tricky bits seem quite tricky (and the first part, defining the
problem, is something where someone developing it on their
own, without some discussion with other users and devs
could easily end up way off in the weeds).

Cheers,
Steve