Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc

From: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc
Date: 2016-04-21 19:56:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* From: Andrew Dunstan [mailto:andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net]

> 4. The compiler complains about one of Microsoft's own header files -
> essentially it dislikes the=is construct:
>
> typedef enum { ... };
>
> It would be nice to make it shut up about it.

I doubt that's possible; the declaration *is* wrong after all. We could turn off the warning:

#pragma warning(push)
#pragma warning(disable : 1234, or whatever the number is)
#include <whatever.h>
#pragma warning(pop)

> 5. It also complains about us casting a pid_t to a HANDLE in
> pg_basebackup.c. Not sure what to do about that.

The thing that's being cast is not a PID, but a HANDLE to a process. pid_t is a typedef for int (in port/win32.h), therefore is always 32 bits, while HANDLE is actually void*. However, Microsoft guarantees that kernel32 HANDLEs (this includes those to threads and processes) fit into 32 bits on AMD64.

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee872017(v=vs.85).aspx, third bullet point.

So we can simply silence the warning by casting explicitly.

--
Christian