Re: hardware question

From: "Adam Erickson" <adamre(at)cox(dot)net>
To: <a(dot)schmitz(at)cityweb(dot)de>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hardware question
Date: 2002-09-26 17:25:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

I assume you'll be running Linux on this?

We're running a 4x700 right now, it's very dependable. But be careful,
you're getting yourself into (as far as Linux goes) very high end hardware.
It's easy enough to find people who can support a uni or dual-proc box.
Finding expertise on 4-way or higher systems is more difficult. A wide
variety of kernel issues can present themselves. Memory addressing comes to
mind. Not many Linux systems have 4+gb of ram, how did you set up bigmem?
These things you may not even notice for a year until you grow to tbe point
where you hit the choaker.

But don't mind me, I've just run into one this last week and it's driving me
nuts. (Some weird kernel bug, that is) Of course, none of this matters if
you're not running Linux (go you) but then again, I've heard Slowaris x86
is.. well. slow. And you wouldn't be seriously considering NT would you?
Does *BSD have those SMP bugs worked out?

I would highly recommend you purchase your hardware through a solid company.
Get Dell, IBM or Compaq to build you a machine. Xeon machines are very
complex, you'll save yourself time, headaches and (lots) of money by going
with the big guys.

I am curious, why are you getting away from Sun? I've been under the
impression that Sun hardware kills IA32 when it comes time to play. (eg.
high load) Am I reading too much FUD these days?