Re: hardware question

From: Dan Hrabarchuk <dan(at)findatradenow(dot)com>
To: Adam Erickson <adamre(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: a(dot)schmitz(at)cityweb(dot)de, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hardware question
Date: 2002-09-26 17:33:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

A note on your last point. We have a bunch of older SUN boxes around
here. e450, e250, etc.

The 2MB L2 cache un the UltraSparc 2 does allow for a high load. And for
their era they were sweet chips, still are. But the #1 reason in my mind
to move from Sun to an Lintel box would be cost. Sun is expensive. It
seems to me that the Intel/AMD world has moved forward at a faster pace,
definelty more bang for the buck (Althons are great).

My 2 cents.