Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Alvar Freude <alvar(at)a-blast(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-05-02 11:32:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,

-- Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> wrote:

> The tcp hackers have provided an api for clients to set these values per
> socket (setsockopt with TCP_KEEPIDLE and similar (in linux at least)).

you can use SO_KEEPALIVE:

[...] SO_KEEPALIVE enables
the periodic transmission of messages on a connected socket. Should the
connected party fail to respond to these messages, the connection is con-
sidered broken and processes using the socket are notified via a SIGPIPE
signal when attempting to send data.

For me it seems to be a good idea to support this. For the applications
(server, client) it is transparent, but notices a cutted or broken network
connection faster then before...

But even with this you only realise that the connection is gone when sending
something, AFAIK.

Ciao
Alvar

--