Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Adam Alkins <postgresql(at)adamalkins(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 18:46:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
> well we have pgcrypto in the main source tarball and we are able to
> distribute solaris/linux and other binaries through our mirror network just
> fine (and we managed to distribute the old MSI based windows installer als)
> so it seems easy enough to do the same for the one-click...

You mean noone has complained yet. The fact is, we *have* had
face-to-face contact from US authorities on this matter, reminding us
(in not too subtle terms) that it is not legal to distribute crypto
code to embargoed countries, and requiring us to put in place
preventative measures. Those laws do apply to any people or servers in
the US, not just EnterpriseDB - we're just easier to intimidate in
person than the community.

Now, that was a few years ago, and some people are now saying that
exceptions are in place for Open Source software. We have folks
looking into this, and if we're given the go-ahead to remove the
blocks, we'll do so ASAP.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company