Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Adam Alkins <postgresql(at)adamalkins(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 18:45:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
>> Technically the non-source code distributions of Postgres are produced
>> by external groups.  The community only distributes the source code,
>> though we provide links to the external groups, and we are working with
>> those groups to see if we can come up with a solution.
>
> well we have pgcrypto in the main source tarball and we are able to
> distribute solaris/linux and other binaries through our mirror network just
> fine (and we managed to distribute the old MSI based windows installer als)
> so it seems easy enough to do the same for the one-click...

For what it's worth I'm unclear that this is purely a problem with
crypto. It's illegal for a US company to do business in these
companies even if they're just selling pencils. In the case of crypto
they had to take *extra* precautions in the past such as getting
agreements from recipients that they wouldn't redistribute the crypto
to embargoed countries.

I think the crypto situation has simplified in recent years but the
general embargo is the same as it ever was. The embargo doesn't affect
individuals communicating but when it comes to shipping binaries
produced by a US company I'm not clear what the rules are or whether
there are any restrictions. I'm sure EDB will figure out what it's
allowed to do and we should just wait to find out whether we can work
with whatever they're allowed to do.