Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Dan Shoubridge <dan(dot)shoubridge(at)autovhc(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables
Date: 2010-11-17 09:49:56
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Dan Shoubridge
<dan(dot)shoubridge(at)autovhc(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:>

> Ok, I understand and it’s a shame the vars aren’t strong typed. It's little
> things like that that make me want SQL Server back. It doesn't seem like a
> big thing to some people, but for a lot of developers the amount of work
> added by this when debugging sql adds up over time.

If you really want T-SQL support, then SQL Server or Sybase really are
your only choices. What we have in pgAdmin is a scripting language
that we modelled loosely on T-SQL for ease of learning, that is
designed for making tasks like creating multiple table partitions
quick and easy. It's really not intended as a full-featured
replacement for T-SQL.

With PostgreSQL (9 and above), if you need a "real" procedural
language that you can use on the server, then I'd suggest looking at
the DO command, which allows you to execute anonymous blocks of code
an currently supports pl/pgsql, pl/perl and pl/python.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company