Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables

From: "Dan Shoubridge" <dan(dot)shoubridge(at)autovhc(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Guillaume Lelarge'" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables
Date: 2010-11-17 09:40:27
Lists: pgadmin-support

>>> certainly doable with pgscript.

>>> 16/11/2010 13:00, Dan Shoubridge:
>>>
>>> (Apologies for messing up my reply, I've not used mailing lists
>>> before and they never get formatted correctly/
>>>
>>> Ok, I tried it - I think I must have missed of the quotes in my
>>> version, but that still defeats the point - It's easy to replace @
>>> with :, but having to put quotes around all the vars makes it less
>>> efficient. Is there anything that can be done about this?
>>>

>> I don't think this is something we want to do. Problem is that
>> variables are not strictly typed, so there is nothing that could tell
>> pgscript if it should add simple quotes (simple quotes for text, but
>> not for integer for example).

Ok, I understand and it’s a shame the vars aren’t strong typed. It's little
things like that that make me want SQL Server back. It doesn't seem like a
big thing to some people, but for a lot of developers the amount of work
added by this when debugging sql adds up over time.

>>> And I don't get any output in the 'Data Output tab' - this is the
>>> most important bit. - I can copy and paste the result that I can then
>>> run, after I've fiddled with the script a bit, but it isn't seamless.
>>> - Just a request as I think others would find it useful too?
>>>

> Yeah, that's quite surprising. I would be useful but quite hard to do.

It's not a case of just capturing the output message and running that? :(

> I think I'll add a ticket on this.
>

> Ticket added.

I think when I asked this question on stack overflow there was a problem?
But since upgrading pgAdmin it seems to work now. :) Thanks for your help.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr