Re: Understanding Datum

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Radosław Smogura <mail(at)smogura(dot)eu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Understanding Datum
Date: 2011-03-24 06:39:39
Lists: pgsql-general

2011/3/24 Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> If Datum contains only the value (not having type specific info.), then
> Suppose i want to print the Datum V value (already defined in postgres)
> then printf("%??", V);
>
> Because V is assigned by PG_GETARG_POINTER(1);
> I don't having the information of type Datum.
>
> How to print the value of Datum in postgres?

you have to find a adequate out function and you have to call it. A
out functions transform a binary Datum value to CString value.

#include "executor/spi.h" /* this is what you need to
work with SPI */
#include "utils/lsyscache.h"

PG_MODULE_MAGIC;

extern Datum quote_literal(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(quote_literal);

Datum
quote_literal(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
text *result;
Oid valtype = get_fn_expr_argtype(fcinfo->flinfo, 0);
Datum value = PG_GETARG_DATUM(0);
Oid typoutput;
bool typIsVarlena;
StringInfoData buf;

if (!OidIsValid(valtype))
elog(ERROR, "could not determine data type of input");

initStringInfo(&buf);

appendStringInfoChar(&buf, '\'');

getTypeOutputInfo(valtype, &typoutput, &typIsVarlena);
appendStringInfoString(&buf, OidOutputFunctionCall(typoutput, value));

appendStringInfoChar(&buf, '\'');

result = DatumGetTextP(DirectFunctionCall1(textin,
CStringGetDatum(buf.data)));

PG_RETURN_TEXT_P(result);
}

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION quote_literal(anyelement)
RETURNS text
AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME'
LANGUAGE C STRICT;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION quote_literal(text)
RETURNS text
AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME'
LANGUAGE C STRICT;

Regards

Pavel Stehule

p.s. this is simple variant of this function. For production usage is
using cache necessary.