Re: How to extend the Pgadmin

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: ymcheng <vonclemay(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to extend the Pgadmin
Date: 2010-12-19 10:43:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 5:11 AM, ymcheng <vonclemay(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I am working on a project based on Pgadmin. My job is to extend the Pgadmin
> tool, such as adding panels to the GUI(open extra panel for query input). I
> am currently working under Linux, but I am quite new to linux and c++ and I
> have no idea how to address the problem. Could anyone share some ideas of
> how to extend the Pgadmin tool? Really appreciate it!.
>
> Also here are some of my doubts:
> 1:the website says Pgadmin is using wxWidgets cross platform framework. What
> does this mean? Does it mean any modification to the Pgadmin should be done
> through wxWidgets?

It means that where appropriate, you should code using the wxWidgets
APIs and objects, and only use native platform APIs where there are no
suitable wxWidgets APIs.

> 2:the pgadmin source code provided is an installation version. So does it
> mean every time we make any modification to the source code, we need to
> re-install the software? It is really a time consuming process.

You don't need to run "make install' every time you make a change if
that's what you mean. On Linux, just run the executable directly, eg.
"pgadmin/pgadmin3 &". On Mac, theres a script
"pkg/mac/debug-bundle.sh" which will create an app bundle with
symlinks to the built files in the source tree, so you can run make
and then "open pgAdmin3-Debug.app". On Windows, copy all the required
DLLs into the Debug directory in which the executable is built, and
then Visual Studio can execute it directly as it's built (in fact, on
Windows you can even modify function definitions which the code is
running, and then use "compile and continue" to test the changes
without restarting pgAdmin).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com