Re: ISN patch that applies cleanly with git apply

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Otto <asche(at)me(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ISN patch that applies cleanly with git apply
Date: 2010-10-18 18:17:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I may be in the minority here, but I'm inclined to just apply this and
>> move on.
>
> FWIW, I agree with applying the code patch as-is, but I think we need to
> consider the documentation.  Specifically:
>
> 1. The first para of
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/isn.html
> asserts that ISNs are "correctly hyphenated" on output.  Given this
> discussion, that statement clearly ought to be toned down.  But how
> shall we word it instead?

Numbers are validated on input according to a hard-coded list of
prefixes; this list of prefixes is also used to hyphenate numbers on
output. Since new prefixes are assigned from time to time, the list
of prefixes may be out of date. It is hoped that a future version of
this module will obtained the prefix list from one or more tables that
can be easily updated by users as needed; however, at present, the
list can only be updated by modifying the source code and recompiling.
Alternatively, prefix validation and hyphenation support may be
dropped from a future version of this module.

> 2. Does the bibliography at the bottom of the page need any updates?

I don't see any other URLs in the discussion on this thread.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company