Re: ALTER TYPE 2: skip already-provable no-work rewrites

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TYPE 2: skip already-provable no-work rewrites
Date: 2011-02-07 05:04:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
>> Or how about passing an ObjectType?  Then we could specify
>> OBJECT_TABLE, OBJECT_FOREIGN_TABLE, or OBJECT_TYPE.
>
> Could this be done without a several-line blob of code at each call site to
> determine the answer?  If and only if so, this sounds better.

Yeah, that's a problem. New thought: how about we go back more or
less to the original coding, except replacing the second argument
(only) with a Relation? In other words, callers will pass either a
Relation (which might be a table or foreign table) or a type name.
Not particularly elegant, but no worse than what we had before.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company