advanced backup tool

From: Anj Adu <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: advanced backup tool
Date: 2010-05-14 20:12:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental backup tool
like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving requires many
frequent full backups (especially for large databases) as the replay
of a large number of WAL files will take a very long time. We have a
few databases each over 1Tb and are looking for effective
backup/recovery strategies. (Currently..we rely on specific partition
backups via COPY command)...but the process is cumbersome.

RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental backup a
full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.