Re: advanced backup tool

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Anj Adu" <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: advanced backup tool
Date: 2010-05-14 20:20:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Anj Adu <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental backup
> tool like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving
> requires many frequent full backups (especially for large
> databases) as the replay of a large number of WAL files will take
> a very long time. We have a few databases each over 1Tb and are
> looking for effective backup/recovery strategies. (Currently..we
> rely on specific partition backups via COPY command)...but the
> process is cumbersome.
>
> RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental
> backup a full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.

I don't know how well this will fit, but we crafted our own solution
for similar issues with a few simple bash scripts. The approach is
described prospectively here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-03/msg00233.php

with a follow-up here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-07/msg00071.php