Re: Report: removing the inconsistencies in our CVS->git conversion

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report: removing the inconsistencies in our CVS->git conversion
Date: 2010-09-17 19:02:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 20:49, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I looked a bit more at your pggit_migrate stuff.  I'm not terribly happy
> with the proposed clean_keywords.pl script.  I'd like it to reduce the
> $PostgreSQL$ thingies to the full pathname of the file, rather than
> try to remove all trace of them, eg
>  *        $PostgreSQL: pgsql/src/port/unsetenv.c,v 1.12 2010/09/07 14:10:30 momjian Exp $
> becomes
>  *        src/port/unsetenv.c
>
> This would then be followed up by moving those pathname comments to
> somewhere more sensible.  I don't think that part can be managed with
> a script like this, but leaving the data in place will make it easier
> to do the moving.  Some places, like the .sgml files, won't need any
> additional changing to get to where I would like to be.
>
> Also, I'd be inclined to make these changes only in master, not in the
> back branches.  We don't for example run pg_indent against back branches.

We discussed that before, and the consensus then was to do that, and
backport it to *active* backbranches. Just to not demove the lines,
but replace them with an empty one so that line numbers would stay the
same.

But it's not too late to change that again... Shouldn't be too hard to
change the script to change it the way you suggest, and it's
*certainly* not hard to restrict it to just to the master branch...

Will not doing the backbranches make it harder to backport patches?
Probably shouldn't, unless you're changing the very first line of the
file, right?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/