Re: Report: removing the inconsistencies in our CVS->git conversion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report: removing the inconsistencies in our CVS->git conversion
Date: 2010-09-17 18:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

I looked a bit more at your pggit_migrate stuff. I'm not terribly happy
with the proposed clean_keywords.pl script. I'd like it to reduce the
$PostgreSQL$ thingies to the full pathname of the file, rather than
try to remove all trace of them, eg
* $PostgreSQL: pgsql/src/port/unsetenv.c,v 1.12 2010/09/07 14:10:30 momjian Exp $
becomes
* src/port/unsetenv.c

This would then be followed up by moving those pathname comments to
somewhere more sensible. I don't think that part can be managed with
a script like this, but leaving the data in place will make it easier
to do the moving. Some places, like the .sgml files, won't need any
additional changing to get to where I would like to be.

Also, I'd be inclined to make these changes only in master, not in the
back branches. We don't for example run pg_indent against back branches.