postmaster.pid does not exist. cannot start postgres server on ubuntu

From: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postmaster.pid does not exist. cannot start postgres server on ubuntu
Date: 2010-11-23 16:12:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I am getting the following error when I go to Application -> PostgreSQL ->
Reload Configuration

"
Please enter your password if requested.
pg_ctl: PID file "/home/Jen/Installed/PostgreSQL/data/postmaster.pid" does
not exist
Is server running?

Press <return> to continue...
"

I have installed Postgresql from the Enterprise DB installer for Ubuntu.

It has worked before. I just restarted my computer and now face this issue.

Off topic:
I have also had a different kind of issue, where a script added to
/etc/profile.d called Startup.sh
causes postgre to fail to startup. This script is used on login to set
global environment variables, but I get the error that Postgre cannot
execute the script.
I tried chmod 777 on the script but still no luck. If I remove it, postgre
will start up so its not a biggy..
but is not a bug ?

Cheers, Jen