Re: postmaster.pid does not exist. cannot start postgres server on ubuntu

From: Matthew Walden <matthew(dot)walden(at)bcs(dot)org>
To: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster.pid does not exist. cannot start postgres server on ubuntu
Date: 2010-11-23 18:00:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Jen,

Regarding the first point, is postgres actually running? You can check this
by typing the following at a terminal -

ps -ef|grep postgres

Reload configuration is used to tell PostgreSQL to read in the configuration
file for any chances since the database started. If you want to start the
database you can use pg_ctl. More info on its use would be best gained from
the documentation. It looks like the feedback is correct and you don't have
postgres working. Either that or you you need to set the $PGDATA
environment variable or specify the data directory when using pg_ctl reload.

I can't really comment on the login script because I don't know its contents
but if you're trying to automatically start the database I would look at
init.d and the associated run level folders (again more info in Linux
documentation - its far too lengthy to explain here).

--
View my Linkedin profile <http://uk.linkedin.com/in/matthewdwalden>