Re: bg worker: patch 1 of 6 - permanent process

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bg worker: patch 1 of 6 - permanent process
Date: 2010-09-14 16:26:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:
> On 08/30/2010 04:52 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Let me just point out that awhile back we got a *measurable* performance
>> boost by eliminating a single indirect fetch from the buffer addressing
>> code path.
>
> I'll take a look a that, thanks.
>
>> So I don't have any faith in untested assertions
> Neither do I. Thus I'm probably going to try my approach.

As a matter of project management, I am inclined to think that until
we've hammered out this issue, there's not a whole lot useful that can
be done on any of the BG worker patches. So I am wondering if we
should set those to Returned with Feedback or bump them to a future
CommitFest.

The good news is that, after a lot of back and forth, I think we've
identified the reason underpinning much of why Markus and I have been
disagreeing about dynshmem and imessages - namely, whether or not it's
possible to allocate shared_buffers as something other than one giant
slab without taking an unacceptable performance hit.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company