Re: Email notification pgAgent

From: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Email notification pgAgent
Date: 2010-12-27 09:46:05
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

P3 is a good idea.
I think the best way to configure notifications is on a per job level. So I
need two fields in the pga_job table:

alter table pgagent.pga_job add column jobmailnotkind varchar(7) check
(jobmailnotkind in ('Success','Failure','Both'));
alter table pgagent.pga_job add column jobmailnotrecp varchar(320);

The SMTP server address is going to be an optional cl-argument (-s).

If this is going into a release. Can I assume that the fields are present,
even if pgagent is compiled without mail notification?
Background: I think, it would be inefficient to perform an extra select
between #ifdef MAIL_NOTIFICATION and #endif, so I would change this
statement in the Job::Execute() method.
"select * from pgagent.pga_jobstep
where jstenabled and jstjobid = ?
order by jstname, jstid"
"select js.*, j.jobmailnotkind, j.jobmailnotrecp from pgagent.pga_jobstep js
inner join pgagent.pga_job j on js.jstjobid = j.jobid
where js.jstenabled and js.jstjobid = ?
order by js.jstname, js.jstid"

Maybe, my questions seems to be silly, sorry for that. It's my first try to
contribute to an open source project.

Jasmin