Re: keepalives on MacOS X

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: keepalives on MacOS X
Date: 2010-06-29 14:28:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Yeah, a bit of rooting around in the Darwin sources shows that this
> value is used as a per-connection override for tcp_keepidle.  So it
> is a synonym.  Not sure if it's worth supporting when the other value
> can't be set too.  Maybe it'd be more useful to document that people can
> set the system-wide values if they're desperate.

Well, the default value for tcp_keepidle is 2 hours, and the default
value for tcp_keepintvl is 75 seconds. Assuming that tcp_keepcount
defaults to something reasonable (I think the default on Linux is 9),
the lion's share of the time will be waiting for tcp_keepidle - so
just the ability to reduce that value to something reasonable should
help a lot. It's also not much code - proposed patch attached.

Some documentation of how to change this stuff via sysctl on various
OSes wouldn't be a bad thing either - anyone feel like writing
something up?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
tcp_keepalive_for_keepidle.patch application/octet-stream 3.7 KB