Re: warning message in standby

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: warning message in standby
Date: 2010-06-29 14:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ...with this patch, following the above, you get:
>
> FATAL: invalid record in WAL stream
> HINT: Take a new base backup, or remove recovery.conf and restart
> in read-write mode.
> LOG: startup process (PID 6126) exited with exit code 1
> LOG: terminating any other active server processes

If someone is sloppy about how they copy the WAL files around, they
could temporarily have a truncated file. If we want to be tolerant
of straight file copies, without a temporary name or location with a
move on completion, we would need some kind of retry or timeout. It
appears that you have this hard-coded to five retries. I'm not
saying this is a bad setting, but I always wonder about hard-coded
magic numbers like this. What's the delay between retries? How did
you arrive at five as the magic number?

-Kevin