Re: index corruption on composite primary key indexes

From: Mikael Krantz <mk(at)zigamorph(dot)se>
To: "Ng, Stan" <sng(at)automotive(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index corruption on composite primary key indexes
Date: 2010-12-15 00:35:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I'm afraid that I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to index corruption.

I did note a possibly unrelated problem: The unique index includes the
lower(postalcode::text) but your left join is made on
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.PostalCode = t1.PostalCode. It seems likely
that you do this left join to exclude rows already present in
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache. If PostalCode can contain mixed case this
will be one possible source of duplicate key violations. Differently
cased PostalCodes will not be excluded by your left join but will be
considered identical by the unique index.

This might not at all be connected to your current problem as it seems
like something that would work or not work in a very consistent manner
regardless on reindexing but it could be useful anyway. Changing the
join condition to use lower() would also make the join able to use
more of the index for the join and could improve performance.

Best Regards

Mikael Krantz