Re: index corruption on composite primary key indexes

From: "Ng, Stan" <sng(at)automotive(dot)com>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index corruption on composite primary key indexes
Date: 2010-12-14 18:42:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ah, I forgot to mention why I suspected corruption. The delta
application is a single threaded, sequential process. Each delta is done
within a single transaction. If it fails, there is retry logic that will
continue to attempt the delta application forever, with about a 5 to 10
minute wait. This will fail every time until a manual REINDEX command is
run on the composite primary key index in-between retry attempts. I've
also backed up the data to another table w/ the same indices and applied
the delta data manually without any problems while this error was
happening.

Oddly enough, even with full logging on, the pgsql logs don't contain
anything about the duplicate key error or suspect index. Perhaps another
important piece of information is that we're doing all this in Java
using the JDBC drivers, so we're seeing this as part of our stacktrace.
i.e.
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: duplicate key value violates
unique constraint "vehicleusediccgradiuscache_i00"
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecu
torImpl.java:2102)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImp
l.java:1835)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:
257)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Stateme
nt.java:500)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdb
c2Statement.java:388)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Stateme
nt.java:381)

The index looks like this:
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX vehicleusediccgradiuscache_i00
ON vehicleusediccgradiuscache
USING btree
(datasetid, lower(postalcode::text), productgroupid,
vehicleclassgroupidic, vehicleusedidic, vehicleuseddisplaypriority,
vehicleusedsearchradius);

A single delta is calculated on the master server, which is pulled by
each client server. Each client puts the delta data into temp tables
(one each for delete, update, and insert, applied in that order), and
modifies the data via SQL somewhat like the following:

insert into
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache(DatasetId,PostalCode,ProductGroupId,VehicleCl
assGroupIdIC,VehicleUsedIdIC,VehicleUsedDisplayPriority,VehicleUsedSearc
hRadius,"VehicleUsedPrice.average","VehicleUsedPrice.min","VehicleUsedPr
ice.max","VehicleUsedIntId.distinct_count") select
t1.DatasetId,t1.PostalCode,t1.ProductGroupId,t1.VehicleClassGroupIdIC,t1
.VehicleUsedIdIC,t1.VehicleUsedDisplayPriority,t1.VehicleUsedSearchRadiu
s,t1."VehicleUsedPrice.average",t1."VehicleUsedPrice.min",t1."VehicleUse
dPrice.max",t1."VehicleUsedIntId.distinct_count" from t1
left outer join VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache on
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.VehicleUsedSearchRadius=t1.VehicleUsedSearchR
adius and VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.ProductGroupId=t1.ProductGroupId
and
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.VehicleUsedDisplayPriority=t1.VehicleUsedDisp
layPriority and
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.VehicleUsedIdIC=t1.VehicleUsedIdIC and
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.DatasetId=t1.DatasetId and
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.PostalCode=t1.PostalCode and
VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.VehicleClassGroupIdIC=t1.VehicleClassGroupIdI
where VehicleUsedICCGRadiusCache.VehicleUsedSearchRadius is null