Re: Elections!

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Elections!
Date: 2010-05-10 05:29:17
Lists: pgeu-general

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 23:56, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 11:36 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> I just discovered that I'm not eligible for voting in the European
>> elections. What a load of crap!
>>
>> I'm supposed to have registered by April 10. One mention, buried half
>> way down an email from Magnus sometime in March. The only people that
>> know this will be people planning their response to the election, not
>> honest community people with a balanced viewpoint. I doubt this result
>> will even be quorate, by any sensible measure. No doubt we will have
>> stacked votes with members in the East coast of Europe.
>
> "east coast of europe"???

Yeah, that's a new one :)

>> If we want a fair election, announce the rules properly, give people
>> time and assess the results. No tricks!
>
> I'm having a hard time understanding that mail - the rules for the election
> are clearly published on http://www.postgresql.eu/about/elections/ which is
> clearly mentioned in
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgeu-general/2010-03/msg00001.php and
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgeu-general/2010-02/msg00004.php and the
> blog post done by magnus(and the volume on pgeu-general in that months was
> less than 10 mails in total so really hard to miss).

It was also posted by Jean-Paul at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgeu-general/2010-03/msg00000.php, and
it was blogged by Dave at
http://pgsnake.blogspot.com/2010/02/postgresql-europe-opens-for-general.html.

The only place I can see where it would've been good to have it but we
didn't, is the PostgreSQL Weekly News.

>> I propose that we re-publish the rules clearly and move back a month+ to
>> make this sensible and fair.
>
> I don't see why we should do that - the rules have been followed and
> announced appropriatly...

That is my belief as well, but I am of course biased in this. So as
not to delay things further, the elections will proceed as planned.
You are of course welcome to open a debate on this (as you have done),
and if enough members agree then we will declare the results invalid
and hold a new election.

But before that can be discussed, I think you'll have to say *how* you
think the rules should be published "more clearly".

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/