Re: [DOCS] Documentation Navigation Feedback

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Meller <chris(at)doesnthaveone(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Documentation Navigation Feedback
Date: 2011-01-14 21:21:29
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On 15 January 2011 07:53, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I am forwarding this email to the www team in case there is something
> that can be done to improve our website's display of documentation:

I thoroughly agree with Chris' comments. The docs have excellent
content but are somewhat unwieldly.

The navigation links at the bottom are much more useful than the ones
at the top, we might want to swap these around, or perhaps just
duplicate what's currently at the bottom to both locations.

I have never used "Fast {Back,For}ward", and after playing around with
them a bit, I still don't see the point. Does a feature this obscure
really deserve the prime real estate it currently occupies?

I think I understand why the breadcrumbs stop at "PostgreSQL 9.0" --
the HTML docs themselves are generated from the doc sources in the
core project, but the breadcrumbs are part of the webpage container,
so they have no knowledge of the docs' internal structure. Still, if
we could find some way to extend the breadcrumbs all the way down to
the current page, it would be a big step up in usability.

Cheers,
BJ