Re: Creation of temporary tables on read-only standby servers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Creation of temporary tables on read-only standby servers
Date: 2010-10-19 19:03:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout
<kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:52:01PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Well, temp tables really want a separate set of XIDs with a separate
>> CLOG, too.  Admittedly, they don't necessarily need WAL, if you can
>> make them work without catalog entries, but that's not so easy either.
>
> At one point there was the idea to have a sort of permanent temporary
> tables which would have a pg_class entry but each session would have
> its own copy. Replicated slaves would then also be able to use this
> construction.
>
> Doesn't help with the XIDs though.

Hmm... yeah, I think I was the one who proposed that, actually. :-)

The trick is that it would require us to have two pg_class tables, two
pg_attribute tables, two pg_attrdef tables, etc.: in each case, one
permanent and one temporary. I am not sure how complex that will turn
out to be.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company