Re: Creation of temporary tables on read-only standby servers

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Creation of temporary tables on read-only standby servers
Date: 2010-10-19 21:29:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The trick is that it would require us to have two pg_class tables, two
> pg_attribute tables, two pg_attrdef tables, etc.: in each case, one
> permanent and one temporary.  I am not sure how complex that will turn
> out to be.

Tom suggested using inheritance for this.

I find it strange to try constructing catalog tables to represent
these local definitions which never need to be read by any other
backend and in any case are 1:1 copies of the global catalog entries.

It seems to me simpler and more direct to just nail relcache
entries for these objects into memory and manipulate them directly.
They can be constructed from the global catalog tables and then
tweaked to point to the backend local temporary tables.

--
greg