Re: pg_dump and join aliases (was Re: [BUGS] ERROR: cannot handle unplanned sub-select)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and join aliases (was Re: [BUGS] ERROR: cannot handle unplanned sub-select)
Date: 2010-07-08 01:04:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Anyway, the way it works is that the parser generates "alias Vars" that
> refer to the join RTE, mainly because this makes life simpler for
> ruleutils.  But the planner prefers to work with the "real" underlying
> columns whenever those are semantically equivalent, so it has a pass
> that does the replacement, and that's what's broken ...

Well, +1 from me for leaving the ruleutils as-is. I don't think we
should go out of our way to generate join alias vars just on the off
chance that there's a bug in the translation from join alias vars to
plain ol' vars, and I agree with your statement upthread that
qualification makes things more robust.

I like robust.

--
Robert Haas