Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Date: 2010-10-25 01:04:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> Yeah - what is the feasibility of cleaning up the things where there
>> are naming inconsistencies right now?
>
> Easy.  Heck, the only reason we didn't do it 2 years ago was that we
> were waiting for extensions before bothering.

We could rename the module name, directory, and documentation path,
but could not rename .so files because pg_restore would fail to restore
functions written in C because they contains previous name of .so files.

The issue will be solved by the EXTENSION patch, but the feature cannot
be used to upgrade to 9.1 from older versions, no?

--
Itagaki Takahiro