Re: Walsender doesn't process options passed in the startup packet

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Walsender doesn't process options passed in the startup packet
Date: 2010-09-10 12:56:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> I found walsender didn't process options (e.g., application_name
>> in primary_conninfo) passed in the startup packet. The cause is
>> that walsender doesn't execute process_postgres_switches() and
>> SetConfigOption() in InitPostgres().
>>
>> The attached patch fixes this bug.
>
> Hmm, should walsender call InitializeClientEncoding too? It affects error
> messages. And what about per-user settings in pg_db_role_setting?

Yes, we should do both. SetDatabasePath() and RelationCacheInitializePhase3()
need to be called before accessing to pg_db_role_setting. And we should apply
PostAuthDelay. I attached the updated patch.

BTW, this issue seems to derive from the following commit.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-04/msg00175.php

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
startup_packet_options_and_walsender_v2.patch application/octet-stream 6.6 KB