Re: Sync Rep for 2011CF1

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sync Rep for 2011CF1
Date: 2011-02-07 21:02:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> You're moving the bar.  It DOES say that the CommitFest will end on
>>> February 15th.  Now, if we want to have a discussion about changing
>>> that, let's have that discussion (perhaps on a thread where the
>>> subject has something to do with the topic), but we DID talk about
>>> this, it WAS agreed, and it's been sitting there on the wiki for
>>> something like 8 months.  Obviously, there will continue to be
>>> polishing after the CommitFest is over, but that's not the same thing
>>> as saying we're going to lengthen the CommitFest itself.
>>
>> I'm not moving the bar - I'm talking practically. Regardless of when
>> we consider the commitfest itself over, development and commit work of
>> new features has always continued until beta 1, and that has not
>> changed as far as I'm aware.
>
> I don't think that's really true.  Go back and read the output of 'git
> log REL9_0_BETA1'.  It's bug fixes, rearrangements of things that were
> committed but turned out to be controversial, documentation work,
> release note editing, pgindent crap...  sure, it wasn't a totally hard
> freeze, but it was pretty solid slush.  We did a good job not letting
> things drag out, and FWIW I think that was a good decision.  I don't
> remember too many people being unhappy about their patches getting
> punted, either.  There were one or two, but generally we punted things
> that needed major rework or just weren't getting updated in a timely
> fashion, and that, combined with a lot of hard work on Tom's part
> among others, worked fine.

I guess we disagree on what we consider to be "development" then. Just
looking back to April, I see various committers whacking things around
that look to me like the fine tuning and completion of earlier
patches.

Oh - and just so we're clear... I too want us to get the release out
promptly, I'm just concerned that we don't blindside developers.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company