Re: Sync Rep for 2011CF1

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sync Rep for 2011CF1
Date: 2011-02-07 20:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> You're moving the bar.  It DOES say that the CommitFest will end on
>> February 15th.  Now, if we want to have a discussion about changing
>> that, let's have that discussion (perhaps on a thread where the
>> subject has something to do with the topic), but we DID talk about
>> this, it WAS agreed, and it's been sitting there on the wiki for
>> something like 8 months.  Obviously, there will continue to be
>> polishing after the CommitFest is over, but that's not the same thing
>> as saying we're going to lengthen the CommitFest itself.
>
> I'm not moving the bar - I'm talking practically. Regardless of when
> we consider the commitfest itself over, development and commit work of
> new features has always continued until beta 1, and that has not
> changed as far as I'm aware.

I don't think that's really true. Go back and read the output of 'git
log REL9_0_BETA1'. It's bug fixes, rearrangements of things that were
committed but turned out to be controversial, documentation work,
release note editing, pgindent crap... sure, it wasn't a totally hard
freeze, but it was pretty solid slush. We did a good job not letting
things drag out, and FWIW I think that was a good decision. I don't
remember too many people being unhappy about their patches getting
punted, either. There were one or two, but generally we punted things
that needed major rework or just weren't getting updated in a timely
fashion, and that, combined with a lot of hard work on Tom's part
among others, worked fine.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company