Re: GSoC database modeler [Luis Ochoa]

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC database modeler [Luis Ochoa]
Date: 2010-08-16 20:40:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 16 August 2010 21:05, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, this is my patch for GSoC 2010 database designer for pgAdmin, I hope it
> likes you, I have done a lot of work to create this modeler, but even with
> all that work, is unfinished and lacks of a lot of things, but I believe
> that it will be ready in a professional way in a few months.
>
> This is a  patch for the git repository, it have been tested at windows &
> linux.
>
> you can watch in action (windows) here:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbXIuyTIpJ0
>
> Regards, Luis.

Hi Luis,

Nice progress. :) I notice that if you create a new table and then
create a foreign key on it from another table, the datatype on the new
table is undefined. Couldn't that default to the same datatype as the
primary key? (but obviously if the PK is serial/bigserial then it uses
int/bigint)

I still think one thing which definitely needs changing are the
controls. Most of them cover a very small pixel area and as such make
it tricky to click on and prone to missing them (or at least it would
be for me). Although I appreciate you're still in the middle of
working on everything and are just working on functionality rather
than presentation.

Also, could the play button (which currently shows the SQL) just say
"SQL" on it? And for it to appear in a separate panel in the same
window? Sort of like results currently do for the SQL Query Editor in
PgAdmin. In fact, maybe if the pane is open and you make changes to
the diagram, it could update the pane contents in real time?

--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935